Saturday, January 7, 2012

More goodies

Found more goodies today!


I kept looking for the Vegenaise in the room temperature section of mayonnaise by the salad dressings and it wasn't there. Well no wonder - Vegenaise is kept refrigerated (not true of other vegan mayos out by the dressings), next to the Daiya cheese! 

Also picked up a pack of Daiya cheddar (already have the mozz), vegan ranch dressing, vegan parmesan cheese, and vegan cream cheese. I tried the latter and.... all I have to say is: hmmm.  Tasted the parm and it reminded me of nutritional yeast a little bit. I didn't have a problem with it. The challenging one is going to be that cream cheese... ;-)

I was dying to try oat milk, so I did tonight. I'm nuts about it!!!  One thing I'm really liking about this is the repertoire of milks. Before, milk was just one: cow's milk. When I needed milk, I just reached for one thing in the fridge - that ONE container of skim milk. Here, I have so many choices, and I can honestly say I really enjoy all of them. So far I've tried soy, almond, rice, hemp, and oat. I find myself reaching for the rice milk the least only because it's so thin and runny - I think after drinking skim milk forever, the thicker, creamier texture of the other milks is too good to pass up! But still, rice milk tastes great. And the fact that these come in either plain or vanilla - and several in chocolate, too - makes it even more fun! Once I clear some of these open containers out of the fridge I'll have to try coconut milk.

This weekend will be one of making a marinara, a pizza sauce, and making homemade flatbread pizza to try with Daiya mozzarella. I'm also thinking about veganizing some waffles. We'll see. Should be an interesting weekend of more experimenting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment