Thursday, January 5, 2012

Supplements & a few goodies

In non-vegan mode I would take a Centrum multivitamin, fish oil caps and Vitamin D-fortified calcium every day. After doing some homework I discovered that besides the obvious fish oil, my supplements weren't vegan. Therefore, I finally got around to finding vegetarian supplements. It was particularly important to get the B12 supplement, which I've read is very important for vegans.  Here's an interesting article on recommended supplements for vegans.



I've been wanting to try out hemp milk so while at the store I also picked a vanilla-flavored version of it. I had to try it right away and I'm sold. I think it's very good! And this one claims to be a good source of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, which of course I won't be getting from fish oil during this experiment. So more power to it!

Here's an interesting primer on the omega fatty acids and a vegan diet (I need to reread this thing!).


Heaven in a carton.

I also picked up some of this unbelievable goodness. This dark chocolate-flavored almond milk from Silk is one of the most delicious things I've ever tasted. The ingredient listing looked safe and I've confirmed online that it's vegan. It's luscious, thick, creamy, super chocolaty.... just... wow.

Something I'm finding on my 4th day as a vegan is that I feel hungry sooner after a meal. I was chatting about that with a coworker who is vegetarian and he kind of nodded, like he wasn't surprised. He said he keeps a nut mix at his desk and usually snacks on that around 4pm, his 'scheduled' hunger attack.  

I remember also reading on how it's highly recommended for vegans to eat a lot of nuts since they're such a great source of protein and the omega fatty acids, so off I went to get ingredients for my own custom-made nut mix:


I went with: walnuts, peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts (my favorite nut!!), pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, and I threw in some raisins for a little natural sweetness. Only the sunflower seeds were salted. Now I've got an awesome snack to keep around at work and munch on when hunger strikes!


No comments:

Post a Comment