Sunday, January 1, 2012

First vegan dinner

Brown rice cooked in vegetable broth with olive oil and Herbs de Provence, Seitan stewed Puertorrican-style, and mixed veggies (bell peppers, onions, carrots, and asparagus) sauteed in olive oil and a ton of garlic :-) with vegan butter and herbs.


I enjoyed the taste of everything, but I don't think I want to cook seitan in a stewed way anymore. It soaked up a ton of the sauce making every bite like you were biting into a saturated sponge. Very wet and "slushy". I will try baking or frying it next. I also think that the flavor from the soy sauce/molasses brine in which it was boiled introduced a certain flavor that won't necessarily go with *everything*. In the past I've had seitan cooked Chinese-style. It would lend itself to those flavors much better, unless the seitan was made differently to begin with.

Not bad for my first ever vegan dinner, though. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment