Sunday, February 5, 2012

Jam-packed stir fry

After having grocery-shopped this weekend I came home with so much produce that I filled 2 "crisper" drawers and the one wide, "party platter" drawer in my refrigerator and I still had to store stuff out on the shelves. It's time for a stir fry.

I also wanted to try the Bragg Liquid Aminos that I bought this weekend.

The final mix of vegetables that went into this:

  1. broccoli
  2. cauliflower
  3. carrots (these 3 from a frozen mix)
  4. green onions
  5. asparagus
  6. onions
  7. red bell peppers
  8. green bell peppers
  9. Napa cabbage
  10. mushrooms

For my "protein":

  1. seitan
  2. tofu (firm)

For cooking/seasoning:

  1. extra virgin olive oil
  2. garlic
  3. fresh chopped cilantro
  4. hot sauce
  5. Bragg Liquid Aminos
  6. garlic powder
  7. freshly ground kosher salt
  8. Mrs. Dash "Southwest Chipotle" seasoning
  9. vegetable broth
  10. blue agave nectar

First, my protein. I sliced seitan from my last batch (with the Italian Blend herbs and liquid smoke) and the tofu into little strips. This was sauteed in a little olive oil with garlic and green onions. To that I added Mrs. Dash seasoning, a few dashes of hot sauce, a little garlic powder, and a small handful of the chopped cilantro. Tossed and tossed then transferred to a bowl where it waited to be added to everything else.


Moving on the the veggies. I worked in my Dutch oven just because I didn't feel like hauling my heavy wok (it's an iron wok brought straight from China). I did have so many veggies that I had to cook them in batches so they'd cook evenly.

Starting in the same way as for my protein, I heated olive oil with garlic and green onions. The first batch was the onions, both kinds of bell peppers, Napa cabbage, asparagus and mushrooms. In went the liquid aminos, hot sauce, Mrs. Dash, garlic powder, chopped cilantro, vegetable broth and agave nectar, with a little kosher salt to taste. Then transferred to a bowl to wait after they were done. I had to do 2 batches of these.


Then the broccoli - cauliflower - carrots mix was treated in exactly the same way, transferred to a bowl to wait once they were done.


All of the seasoned, brothy mix remaining in the pan was then brought to a boil and reduced a little. Meanwhile, in a great big bowl all of the veggies were mixed together, and finally in went my seitan and tofu.  To top it all off, the reduced flavored broth was drizzled all over and they were all tossed a few times to finish the dish.


As for the liquid aminos, I found its flavor much more subtle than soy sauce, and not as salty.  With brown rice, whole wheat orzo, quinoa, or couscous, this stir fry is sure to be a hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment