Monday, February 6, 2012

Boca burger

OK, so Boca burgers have been around for a while. They're not as obscure as some of the other stuff I've been eating. So why haven't I had one yet?!

Boca has a whole variety of meatless patties and crumbles, but I gravitated towards the safest choice:


I like how it's the perfect size for a standard hamburger bun, and not too thin.  I'd definitely do these on a skillet to give them some crispiness.

Sizzling with a little olive oil.

Best thing is, they don't shrink like meat burgers do.  With this, you pull out something that looks like it's going to fit perfectly on your bun, and that's how it stays.

I used Vegenaise, ketchup, and a slice of Galaxy Nutritional Foods Vegan cheese, american flavor, which I melted on the patty in my toaster oven. This cheese doesn't melt nearly as well as Daiya does. In fact, it kind of puffed up and it ended up looking like a square pillow on my burger. I wish Daiya made sliced versions of their vegan cheese. I might just sprinkle Daiya shreds on it next time and melt those.

On a whole wheat bun with a little Vegenaise, first went the burger with cheese, then a little romaine lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions, and more romaine.

So... did it taste good?

I got ZERO points for presentation tonight.

Honestly, I thought it was pretty good. I think they could up the ante a little more with herbs and flavorings, though. I have to find a Morning Star equivalent and compare, because I've been a fan of the latter brand of vegetarian morning sausage patties for ages. But these are perfectly doable.  I can live with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment