Saturday, November 12, 2011

Seitan

Just thought I'd quickly post on what will be one of my first vegan experiments: making seitan.

In starting my food research on vegan alternatives, I quickly learned about seitan. Called the "vegetarian meat", seitan is a dense wheat product made from vital wheat gluten. I have eaten a "mock beef" wheat product in Chinese cooking which now I'm wondering if it's basically the same thing. Probably is. Seitan can be cut in chunks, sliced as thinly or thickly as you want, cooked in stews, fried... from what I'm learning, you can pretty much treat this stuff like it's meat. And MOST importantly to this lover of making everything from scratch: you can make your own seitan from scratch.
 
I've found many recipes, so I can't wait to start experimenting with making it. Here's one at About.com. And here's one from The Vegetarian Resource Group.

I can't wait to try this "Country Fried Seitan" recipe from VegNews. This looks delicious in its own right.

No comments:

Post a Comment