Friday, December 30, 2011

And a wee bit more shopping

I think with this last trip I have enough to feel ready and get started on Sunday (1/1/2012).


After trips to 2 different Whole Foods, I still can't spot the Vegenaise.  I will continue to hit different Whole Foods and possibly other stores until I find it, but in the meantime I had to go with Spectrum's Light Canola Mayo. Not sure what it'll taste like, but it's vegan and will serve as a base for a homemade ranch-style salad dressing. We'll see how that goes. 

I love Kashi cereals, and in my homework I discovered that they have several vegan options. Sweetened with evaporated cane juice and containing no honey or any milk solids, etc, this Toasted Berry Crumble sounds pretty good. I think their Island Vanilla is also vegan, so I'll be getting that one as well. 

Mornings will never be the same without eggs, and I think that's one of the things I'll miss the most. But as far as baking cookies, pancakes, and other goodies, we'll see how Ener-G's Egg Replacer does. To go along with the baking plans, I had to go get some vegan cane sugar. I think I'm set for baking. Phew!

And last but not least, I wanted some vegan chocolate. I've read that anything in the 70% or above cacao range is pretty much vegan anyway. This one is actually labeled as such. Of course, I couldn't wait until Sunday to taste this one; I just had to try it tonight. It's a really strong, somewhat bitter chocolate flavor. But hey, it's chocolate. And after all, dark chocolate is considered "health" food these days, or so I hear. 

My evening found me cooking up the last vestiges of animal flesh in my freezer. I cooked up 3 drumsticks, 1 thigh (leftover from Christmas Eve dinner), and 3 chicken breasts. Just breaded in seasoned Panko and baked, with a spraying of olive oil. I also had about 1/2 - 1 lb ground beef which I just browned and sauced up, then mixed with white rice.  I think all I have left meat-wise is a bag of cold cuts which my dog will help me with tomorrow before midnight. :-)

Next I gotta get working on the remaining dairy in my fridge. I may be sticking leftovers in my garage freezer and figure out what to do with it all later. I don't think I'll be eating 9 eggs in 1 day, though, so an unsuspecting friend will be getting free eggs in the near future.

And so the "cleansing of the premises" has begun....

No comments:

Post a Comment